Thursday 30 September 2010

Edward Loxton Knight ( British, 1905 - 1993)

Yet another British printmaker who is absent from the annals, probably largely due to scarcity. He was encouraged to take an interest in art by Samuel Clegg, his headmaster at Long Eaton Grammar School. Clegg went on to teach him how to make colour woodcuts and he was skilled enough to produce this ad for Sandeman's while still a student at Nottingham Art College.
He went on to make a series of colour woodcuts in the 1920s using a spare, stylish manner that belies his considerable skill. As you see from this bold view of the Nottingham Canal with the castle beyond, he had most in common with the poster artist Frank Newbould. Whether Newbould would have bothered obtaining those rich foreground blacks and layers of mauve is another matter. (JMW Turner, with licence, painted the same view).
In fact this view of the lock gates farther along the canal (yes, I know these views extremely well) does show him to be a subtle colourist. It's not just about impact; the shifting angles and levels are well-thought out, the warm ginger against the black of the road bridge a combination worthy of Fez or Rabat. He's a nice observer, too. That walkway remains damp to this day. He shifts very little around; it is all entirely recognisable.
And he continues the urban theme in this cool analysis of Zarauz in the Basque Country. I suspect there is a move away from the easier effects of the first print and the final woodcut has him binding and plaiting the luminous Souths Downs fields with all the verve and none of the daftness of the Grosvenor School.

16 comments:

  1. A surprise and treat meeting a new (to me) printmaker. Very enjoyable and good to puill out of obscurity Great Blog sofar ! I suppose he's never "on the market"?
    Gerrie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are kind, as ever, Gerrie, and I'm pleased you like it so far.

    Loxton Knight is desirable, particularly in Nottingham because of the local nature of his subject matter. But I haven't really followed local auctions for years. I think the CWCs are pretty scarce and surprisingly expensive hereabouts. I saw about six for sale once at Phillips in London then bought 'The signpost' locally despite poor condition (so poor it's in the shed now).

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have a Loxton Knight colourwoodcut - The Primrose Seller, I think. It is signed and numbered 25/30. Anyone interested?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Please contact me with any details at cgc@waitrose.com. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have a Loxton Knight framed print (it may be 'the Signpost', but don't have enough info. to say). The colours are mostly browns and black. Signed in pencil bottom right.
    It belonged to my father who was a contemporary of Knight's at Long Eaton Grammar School under Headmaster Clegg. Family hearsay says he received it as a gift from Knight. It may be of interest to collectors. Would be happy to send a scan of the print if you wish. Both my father, Ernest, and his elder brother Harry were talented amateur artists and were at LEGS school together.
    Best regards
    Tony PLACKETT

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, Tony, it would be of interest and thank you for the offer. I have The Signpost myself but it's in the shed - the condition is terrible. Please send the scan to cgc@waitrose.com and I will put together a new post on Loxton Knight. He interests people and his woodcuts rarely appear.

    Do you still live in Long Eaton? I live in south Notts.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just a quick question. My Loxton Knight CWC has at the left bottom corner, where I would have expected print No./total prints i.e. 15/30, has in pencil p/c (or L). Any ideas about the significance of this anyone?
    regards, Tony Plackett

    ReplyDelete
  8. Some of his prints were in editions of 50 or 35 but not all. Sometimes prints were also available outside the edition and there were various ways of indicating this on the left hand side. 'p' would probably stand for proof ie a print made outside of the edition. It doesn't mean much so long as it's signed ie approved by the artist.

    By the way, Tony, the only person likely to see comments this far back in the blog is me! They come up in my comments box.

    Charles

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have two works by Loxton Knight, a rare woodcut entitled 'Rhine Steamers' and an even rarer large oil entitled 'The Bristol Channel'. Check out these aqnd other stuff on my website www.modernbritishpaintings.co.uk.

    P.S. the oil is not yet uploaded but anyone interested can enquire via the website. Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello .. Does anyone still have any Loxton Knight prints or painting still for sale? Many thanks, Naomi Knight (relative of Loxton Knight) naomi@naomik.co.uk / 07723611249

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hello .. Does anyone have Loxton Knight prints or painting for sale? Many thanks, Naomi Knight (relative of Loxton Knight) naomi@naomik.co.uk / 07723611249

    ReplyDelete
  12. I would love to own something by Edward Loxton Knight, I arrived at Trent College in september 1967, which I think was his last year teaching there.
    His output is huge and the more I see his work the more I aporeciate I was fortunate to meet him and be taught by him.
    His portraits that used to hang in the school dining room were very accomplished

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have bought a lo ton knight watercolour since writing that.
    It dates from the 1930's and was sold through the Brook Street Gallery

    ReplyDelete
  14. The gallery represented him. He fell out with them some time in the thirties an went back to Long Eaton.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I was at Trent College in the 1960s location knight was a brilliant art teacher I remember we painted watercolours never knew his background

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I get the impression he was a modest man. You are the first person I have heard from who has talked about his ability as a teacher. It just shows Trent College knew what they were doing.

      Delete